Thursday, April 23, 2015

Ginisang Monggo at Chicharon (Mung Bean Soup with Pork Cracklings)


I have been craving my mom's Filipino cooking! Living so far away from her compared to when I used to come home and visit almost every other weekend back in college has been such a drastic change for me. Now that I don't have much family up here in the Bay area anymore, I've decided to learn more Filipino dishes when I am able to see my mom. I tried my hand the other week at re-creating her dish that I hope will do her version justice. So, I present to you my feeble attempt at Filipino food.

To try more recipes, click here!

Ginisang Monggo at Chicharon (Mung Bean Soup with Pork Cracklings)

Prep time: 5 mins
Cook time: 1 hour 20 mins
Total time: 1 hour 25 mins

Yield: 6 servings

Ingredients
  • 1 cup dried monggo (mung beans), washed and drained
  • salt
  • pepper
  • 2 tablespoons coconut oil
  • 1 medium onion, peeled and minced
  • 4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
  • 2 large tomatoes, chopped
  • 1 pound shrimp--cleaned
  • 1-2 tablespoons fish flakes (fish seasoning) or 1 packet of Mama Sita's Ginisang Monggo seasoning
  • 7 cups shrimp stalk (I boiled the shrimp shells and pork bones in some water to create a stalk before-hand. This is optional, but highly recommended.)
  • 2 cups chicharon (pork cracklings with attached meat) or very crisp lechon kawali (I recommend the later, but at this time I only had chicharon. in my pantry.)
  • 1 bunch fresh spinach, stems trimmed
  • fish sauce to taste with your level of saltiness
  • 2 medium sized bitter-melon
  • 1/2 pound pork (cut into bite sized strips)
Instructions

  1. In a pot over medium heat, combine mung beans (or you may pre-soak them in water the nigh before to decrease cooking time--your preference), shrimp stalk, and 1 teaspoon of salt. Bring to a boil, skimming off froth that accumulates and any beans that float on top. Lower heat, cover and cook for about 1 hour or until beans are softened and skins have burst.
  2. In another pot over medium heat, heat oil. Add onions and garlic and cook until tender and aromatic. Add tomatoes and cook, mashing with back of spoon, for about 3 to 5 minutes or until softened and release juice. Add fish sauce and continue to cook for about 1 to 2 minutes.
  3. Add pork and saute until cooked. Then add the shrimp and bitter-melon.
  4. Once shrimp change color, add to the cooked mung bean including liquid. Bring to a boil. Continue to cook for about 3 to 5 minutes or until softened. Season with additional salt, fish sauce, fish flakes, and pepper to taste. 
  5. Add spinach, turn off heat and cover pot for about 2 to 3 minutes or until spinach are just wilted. Top with pork cracklings before serving. Serve hot and over rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment